1934 Addition, , new classroom construction and wardrobe storage, steel joist and concrete topping assembly at elevated floors in lieu of wood timber joists , concealed attic space removed to create Loft.
The eastern, upper deck of the commons area shared by Units 10 , 11 & 12 served as the principal’s office. The space is now open and exposed to the area. The clock hanging in this commons area was manufactured by the Standard Electric Time Co. in Springfield Mass. The Co manufactured electric time systems as early as 1890. This particular clock was probably made in the 1930’s and was purchased and installed in the Garfield School after the 1934 Addition . The complete system consisted of this master clock that was located in the Principals office or somewhere close by and the secondary, or slave clocks, that were located in all classrooms. The master clock controlled all the classroom clocks so that all clocks were set at the same time.
Mechanical Room: 1946 Addition that housed the replacement boiler to the original coal fired boiler.
The 1946 boiler was fueld by diesel fuel and was replaced with a natural gas boiler in 1979.
The Bike Shop: 1908 Construction, this space consists of the majority of the original coal fired boiler room.